Saturday, October 16, 2010

Flock II - step I... Back to the blur!

This is a 2nd attempt on raw canvas... trying to discard the subject in favour of general impressions expressed in colors...


This flock series is allowing me to paint in total abandon... and I'm surprised at the degree of "subject retention" that I have achieved despite my being sloppy! The palette knife should help me "abstract" the birds a little more on the 2nd pass.

Note: I'm interested in using raw canvas in the future and this one is my 4th painting. My interest stems from the fact that raw canvas behaves a little like watercolor rag paper and is perfectly suited for acrylics. This has the effect of improving my creative "cockiness"! My next experiments will be on Belgium linen... but with my usual subject matters!

No comments: