Saturday, October 10, 2009

Yakshi statue step II... arts and crafts but not painting!

As I did for the last runner, I built textures at the underpainting level using impasto gel mixed with paint and spreading it with a palette knife "as if it were not ointment"...

My intent is to build further textures with the brush as I'm proceeding with my color scheme... ideally with one extra coat only "alla prima" style. I'll soon find out if I'm all talk... and nothing else!

Note to self: "I sure mastered imprecision in a hurry... I'd like to spring back a little... a saving grace: some of that texture will shrink! Next time around, I will also use a bad brush to counterbalance the knife marks and add variety right from the get go... also, I still need to control the palette knife's gas pedal!"

Sub-note to self: "I'm usually afraid to go with a palette knife over an underpainting done with a brush... now I'm afraid to go over this underpainting done with a palette knife... with the brush! I guess, I kinda like the textures as is... suggesting that the next time around, in this style, I should go with one thick coat with final colors after the thin underpainting... period!

No comments: