Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yakshi statue- final step... outside my comfort zone again!

While struggling with this one, I kinda forgot to leave brush marks...

... well there's always the next time around! This is an attempt to have a few "more commercial" paintings to offer at my upcoming concert exhibition, October 19th. I'd like to start a new series on Yoga in November, so I am frantically trying to get used to the new color palette using these non threatening experimental paintings as a departure point. I replaced crimson by a more permanent violet and ultramarine by a powerful turquoise. Keeping azo gold as a yellow, I see versatility with this limited palette that I did not have with my previous one (color range, color strength). The two new colors are extremely powerful and as such are tough to control (a bit like phtalo blue that can easily overpower other colors in mixes)...

Note to self: "My alla prima approach so far is a collection of tentative brush strokes almost like a trial and error kind of approach. I will be satisfied only when each brush mark is decisive!"

Sub-note to self: "I realized that when it comes to the painting knife, I want to be a "scraper" and not a "butterer". When it comes to the brush... I want to leave a mark!"

No comments: