Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Idling between series... and thinking about Yakshi statues from India...

Mentally getting ready for a new series on Yoga (I will photograph and draw a Yoga instructor next week), I've decided to kill time by painting one of those Indian statues depicting courtesan women/goddesses, a so-called Yakshi. This is an opportunity to practice textures. Here is step one starting off with a prudent reddish first coat with no prior drawing (this is a 20 X 30 canvas)... it's a good thing I have a portable mirror!

Some of those statues make the Kama Sutra look pretty tame... and even modern India is embarrassed! I will make a special effort to spare my audience the "graphic" details! As for me, they are merely irresistible female Buddhas...

Note: This is based on a statue in my studio..."

No comments: