Thursday, October 22, 2009

Moroccan woman commission - step I extended... the 1% that broke the camel's back!

Looks like my estimated 99% completion rate for step one was a rather rough estimate at best (mind you, I started off with a couple of 3" X 2" photos, one of which was dating back 7 years!)...

If anything, I had to fight doggedly to obtain 100% likeness, luckily obtaining in the process a better representation of the client's facial features, i.e., more conformed to the way she looks now (slightly more streamlined).

Looks like I'm back to "zinc white" country with this one, in an attempt to retain as much color power as possible while working "more opaque". Needless to say, I'm crossing my fingers as I proceed to the next level!

Note: funnily enough, my first attempt at the nose ended up producing a plausible nose... but an eagle beak one! It's interesting to observe that, in portraiture, a quarter inch can "make you or break you"...

3 comments:

amber said...

This is very nice Gorgeous job!!!

Ron Gravel said...

Hi Amber, thanks for this uplifting comment! As you can see, I'm not quite ready for your totally expressive style of portraiture...may be one day when all the planets are aligned:))

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, I re-looked at your last 2 portraits...and it finally dawned on me that the power of your art resides in your capacity to break down your subjects into large, well balanced identifiable shapes. Now, this is easier said than done... somewhat akin to saying that the only way to beat Mohamed Ali was to punch him right on the mouth:))