I painstakingly went for the unfinished look with this one...
... it took more time not to destroy what was originally spontaneous! The background looks like it's been done by a 3 year old (with crayons!)... a major accomplishment on my part (joke)!
I used to be sloppy at the early stage knowing that I could play "catch up" towards the end using as many layers as needed. I got caught by surprise with this one. I applied full color at the early stage alla prima... and ended up with a plausible picture.
For some reason, the right size of eyes for the girl escaped me from the beginning, a crucial feature to depict the right age; I've been sketching the boy for a while, it's the first time for the girl, clearly familiarity makes a difference! Backing off 15 feet from time to time to check proportions needs to become part of my routine.
Note to self: "For the first time since I've been using acrylics, I feel that the real artist in me is emerging. This painting really expresses my feelings about these two kids: i.e., a whole lot of love and positive emotions! In view of this experience, I need to revise my ways! "