Monday, January 4, 2010

Yoga pose VII - step I... can I use the same pictorial language... and just unequivocally express beauty?

I realize that my Yoga series up to now can solicit strong and surprisingly diverse emotional responses from people exposed to it, especially from the non-initiated in the practice of Yoga or those belonging to younger generations and having been exposed to the strong pictorial language of video games (the Gothic, the dark, etc...). I find that a bit scary, but at the same time, I enjoy the kind of contradictory responses that I've been getting so far (sure beats indifference!). I'm naturally attracted to the mystical aspect of Yoga (I chose to practice Tai Chi because of my martial arts background) and this is what I've been communicating so far... it seems. I now see an opportunity to communicate other aspects of Yoga in the completion of the series. This pose is meant to be a step in this new direction...

I'd like to convey beauty of lines, softness and calmness.... using the same techniques that I've recently developed...

Note to self: "People asking me to rotate my paintings (I could put an arrow sticker in the back of my future paintings!) or searching for the position of missing portions of limbs is a new thing for me... but as I'm writing these lines, I've already adjusted... I think!"

2 comments:

Esther Barend - Expressionista said...

Thank you so much Ron for your very sympathetic and encouraging message on my blog!
This says a lot about you.
I can see that you love colors too. Isn't it great that we can do what we do?!!
Keep up the good work and enjoy every single minute you're creating new art!
A lot of success for you too in 2010!
Best,
Esther Barend

Ron Gravel said...

Hi Esther, I have a step son in Belgium... who knows, I may have a chance to visit a gallery featuring your works during a future trip :)