Thursday, December 24, 2009

Yoga pose VI - final step... going full circle!

Instead of just using values, this time around, I decided to switch primaries to bring the figure a little more in the forefront...

Two years ago I used very little white and transparency to realize my first paintings with the acrylic medium (this was my watercolor crutch so to speak). I seem to be shifting back after having experienced opacity and accentuated textures. I think I'm in a good position to develop a hybrid technique... and have the best of both worlds! Year 2010 will be a crucial year...

Meanwhile in the basement, the Christmas arsenal is ready...

... for the whole family and especially our grand children!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my followers and supporters (direct and indirect) in this crazy pursuit of mine for the elusive master piece in visual arts! I may never attain my objective but, like many things in life, the reward is in the journey, not in the destination!

Note to self: "Going full circle: this is reminiscent of the evolution of a martial artist: a punch is just a punch, a punch is no longer just a punch, a punch is just a punch!"

Sub-note to self: "Interestingly, my last painting of 2008 featured highly saturated azo gold used both transparently and in full strength. I used ivory black ( I now use phtalo turquoise) and titanium white to obtain dark tones and highlights, respectively. The painting obtained a honorable mention. There is a lot of similarities in technique between the aforementioned painting and the one posted above... I think this is telling me something in terms of my future direction and what I need to do technically speaking to develop a distinctive pictorial vocabulary and language... all of this being in the spirit of expressionism. Being able to accommodate large formats remains important!"

2 comments:

amber said...

Merry Christmas Ron :)

Ron Gravel said...

Have a great Holiday Season Amber!