Monday, December 7, 2009

Yoga pose V - final... I ended up finishing it like an illustrator... I think I need a break!

Looks like the image maker as opposed to the painter reappeared once again during the completion phase for this one. I got caught up in the details. Obtaining near likeness, which was not my original intent, suddenly became a goal because of the frontal view... and comments from the muse!

With this one, I've also added another one to the group of beaten up backgrounds (my indecision led to this with my last four paintings of the series!)...

Four to five layers led to this kind of granular effect, a happy accident that I can most certainly replicate in some of my future works.

With the next five Yoga paintings, I'd like to go much more fluid in my treatment of this subject matter and tip the scale towards color washes as opposed to impasto passages, the exact opposite of what I've done so far with this series.

Note to self: This one gave me troubles ... and I had to rework the figure a number of times to reach a certain level of satisfaction... this is a sign for me to take a break and distance myself from this series, at least for a week. Although I like the imagery I produced so far, my best paintings are the ones I zip through without looking back... and they are just a few!

No comments: