Saturday, June 12, 2010

Macha series... the experimental phase before the plunge!

Before going to a larger scale, I felt compelled to try my luck working over a dark abstract pattern laid out fairly transparently...

... to see how it would feel. My method remains more or less the same as I tend to work transparently at least at the initial stage. I may have pushed this one too far for curiosity's sake in the exploration of a new technique; step one was already compelling and quite artistic in my view (although a bit raw)... step two looks more like a conventional portrait. I now see potential in trying to go for a finish on the first pass flat after the elaboration of the background! Once I gravitate to a larger format, the painting knife will kick in and I will be after much more abstracted renditions. Looks like I may be able to survive this new series! The title for the above painting will be: "Who do you think you are?"... it's a go!

Note: Interestingly, I've been reluctant in the past to use an opaque colored background as starting point for my paintings because of my watercolor practices. I now realize that I can use this avenue while remaining true to my painting principle of transparency. Moreover, the idea of slowly making an image emerge from nothingness (an abstracted background) with less emphasis on the line appeals to me a lot... it's a departure from Chinese black ink but a nice tie in with Zen painting and the philosophy behind it. I want my painting process to be liberating... not just mere image making!

Note to self: "I want machas that will knock machos' socks off!"

No comments: