Sunday, June 27, 2010

Macha series - experiment 2 - step II...Could this be a first step towards some real visceral work?

In the end, I elected to spread some iridescent steel around to try to create some movement...

Although I still need to work on this new technique of late, this portrait is more visceral than the first one... so maybe I'm on to something... a new discontinuity in my art!

Note: Iridescent pearl would be interesting to try in the hair and facial area for the full completion of this exercise and the sake of uniformity in different lighting conditions...

Although I don't want to make iridescence the cornerstone of my art, I'm curious to explore limits and possibilities with this avenue. In light of my "half failure" with this experiment, I see potential in using iridescence alla prima, like I just did with this 2nd layer or using it in the underpainting... but leveraging it. For the latter option, my usual method of painting with multiple transparent layers would be more appropriate. I realize there is no point using an iridescent underpainting if it's going to be obliterated for the most part by an opaque layer...

Note to self: "This new approach using a darker underpainting is giving me more freedom in that I can settle for much fewer layers and be able to live with results that are more expressive, more me! I can also vary grounds to my liking going for more drama or naturalism depending on the subject matter..."

No comments: