Friday, June 25, 2010

Macha series - experiment 2 - step I... Taking a plunge in total darkness... literally!

Disregarding my previous pool scene for now, I couldn't resist my urge to experiment once again with a dark background for the "macha" series (I used a 24 X 24 piece of canvas)...

I tried iridescent copper and steel in the underpainting. The copper was smothered in paste and azo gold, so I lost the iridescence: I was too timid to use unadulterated copper! Moreover, I put streaks of steel in my dark background, only to find out that this generated way too much reflection for my liking! Needless to say, I'll have to revert back to my old ways to complete this painting. As for iridescence, if this first attempt was not too brilliant (pun intended), there is always the next time... to shine... and rise to the occasion!

A saving grace though, my art is starting to look like me... a bit rough on the edges!

Note to self: "Sooner than later, I'll have to put an end to these experiments... otherwise, there will be nothing left in me for the real series!"

No comments: