Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cogitating between two series... and seeking inspiration from music artists!

Towards the end of a series always comes the question: "What will I do next?"

Recently, I came across statements made by rock artist Bruce Springsteen ("The Boss") and highly acclaimed jazz musician Miles Davis, which really struck a cord with me. The former was featured in a recent TV interview and the latter is currently being honored by a retrospective exhibition at the Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal.

Paraphrasing "The Boss" talking about is very unique brand of heartland rock and poetic lyrics:
  • "Being a painter is more than just applying paint on a canvas. To create real truthful and distinctive art, one has to reach deep within... and the few who can will typically rise above the rest."
Paraphrasing Miles Davis talking about Jazz:
  • " Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."
  • "My ego just needs a good partition with rhythm."
  • "Why play so many notes when only the most beautiful ones will do?"
  • "I will play and after, I will tell you what it's about".
In a nutshell, something to mull over before starting my next series!

Note: In the previous painting, I used fire patterns in the foreground in an attempt to make it more interesting. I realized after that fire is one of the fifth elements in Yoga and that it is mainly associated with standing postures which tend to generate more heat... weird! A similar iconography is also associated with Taichi, which I'm more familiar with.

No comments: