Thursday, May 27, 2010

Honorable mention at the 2010 Montreal art contest!

I got lucky again this year and won an honorable mention in the creation/professional category with this painting of my grand children...

As usual, members of the jury had impressive credentials (past or present affiliations with le Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, le conseil des arts de Montréal and l'association des galeries d'art contemporain de Montréal). It's nice to have this kind of validation to say the least... but it was nothing short of a miracle considering the number of entries and the quality of the works submitted! Visiting the exhibition after the distribution of awards was a rather humbling experience... to say the least!

Funny thing, I convinced a Taichi classmate (Claude) to submit some of his works (gouache is his preferred medium) to the art contest... and he won first place in one of the amateur categories!

A big thank you to Pierrefonds, its cultural center management team and all those involved in the organizational aspects of this major art event. Especially, I'd like to express my gratitude to Lyne, coordinator at the centre, for her continuous support over the last 3 years.

Note: Who won? The grand kids, the painter... or the proud grand parents? The answer of course is all of the above!

2 comments:

amber said...

Congreatulations Ron-WEll earned!!!
I love the above painting-it has lost edges and a great color combination Beautiful and confident!!

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, interesting you mention about the presence of lost edges which I used to be concerned about with my watercolors... but kind of discarded in my pursuit for a contemporary look favouring the line. As my level of comfort increases with paste... I'm bound to get closer to my watercolor techniques... my ultimate objective!