Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Parasurfing in Samana - step IV... managed another pass in a hurry!

I tackled the edge surrounding our lot today... and had my work cut out!

Luckily, I mustered enough energy to do another pass, knowing it would not be the final one. I decided to make the guy bulkier so that there is no misconception about his gender!

The next pass should do it... especially obliterating the reddish coral reef with more green waves as I did before...

Note to self: "My current process is not conducive to building thick textures while keeping full control, especially during the final passes. If I don't like what I see with any given layer, I tend to smooth things out, thus losing significant textural effects in the process! With future paintings, I intend to go thin over thick, trying to short circuit the process. In other words, I will build textures with thick paint at the early stage and refine with semi transparent layers as a second step".

Note: In the past, I built textures after the first layer of paint with pure acrylic gel before applying subsequent layers. My process change stems from my recent use of impasto acrylic gel in my paint mixtures as opposed to regular acrylic gel. I want great textures without losing subtle color nuances from my previous technique and without using barrels of paint!

No comments: