Wednesday, May 27, 2009

End of race two - step V... another one bites the dust... but I'm a bit stiff with stiff paint!

I managed to pull this one off through some improvisation along the way...

I realized I need to get myself some stiff brushes to spread stiff paint around... at least at the early stage. Right now I favour cheap beveled nylon watercolor brushes. Although the surface is not as textured throughout as I anticipated, it does have that beaten look, which I like! I need to get used to applying thick paint and letting it sit there untouched...

One thing I realized is that there is an advantage in using gloss acrylic gel for brighter colors. Matte gel whitens colors a little. In the end, I can always go for a satin (waxy) finish as usual.

In retrospect, there was nothing wrong in dealing with textures separately from the painting process: I won an honorable mention with such a painting. I'm basically making an attempt to do both at the same time, as most conventional painters do! As usual, my focus on results will lead me to use all methods concurrently... sort of my "anything goes if results are there" kind of philosophy!

3 comments:

amber said...

Brilliant!! I cannot write out my thought as you can ... you have a literary gift as well as visual gift.

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, its all those years in marketing... you can get a guy out of marketing but you cannot get marketing out of a guy!

Ron Gravel said...

AMber, on the visual side, the last portrait you posted prompted me to consult again Marini’s book on Velazquez featuring close-ups of the master’s paintings, a book I bought after visiting the Prado 4 years ago. As an example, the close-ups unveil nothing in particular about what makes Velazquez’s rendition of statin and velour different. In actuality, Velazquez painted the light generated by these fabrics as opposed to the fabrics themselves. For some reason, although you style is very different, I saw a similar principle being applied in that particular work of yours, hence my comment:)