Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cape May portrait - step II... it's a go!

Before getting started this afternoon, I brought the under painting a tad closer to what I'm after in terms of likeness, i.e., rendering the softness her eyes in particular (the type of eyes only a mother can have!)... she's starting to get real for me. It always mesmerizes me to see how the slightest variation in the shape of the eyes or the mouth can translate into a totally different expression.

I went for a sunset color scheme and rapidly blocked the white of the canvas using the hour I had at my disposal this afternoon. It seems the 4 hours I spent on the initial phase has paid handsome dividends as I have no corrections to implement in subsequent phases. I'm usually sloppier than that... but this is the muse!

I feel comfortable that I can bring this painting to fruition... with a wee bit of luck! I want this one to be painterly.

This is a 24 X 30 canvas.

No comments: