Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ultimate fighter XII - step I... Trying to lose my art in a vortex!

These days, I'm thinking about developing a specific aspect in my art that could potentially lead to a more prolonged saga of exploration in one direction. For one thing, I would like the gestures that I use in my painting process to be in line with those associated with my Tai Chi practice. I'm referring in particular to sweeping circular motions. In this line of thinking, I've been attracted for quite a while to the "enso" circle often seen in Zen paintings, the so-called formless form. Another aspect that interests me (I have a scientific background) is the entropy phenomenon which causes everything in the Universe to go from a state of organization to a state of disorganization over time.

With this in mind, I took a second look at one of my ultimate fighter paintings and initiated this experiment on canvas...


It will be interesting to see if I can make some sense out of this rather humble first step!

No comments: