Saturday, November 19, 2011

Still doodling in-between series...

These days, I'm trying to lay the foundation for my 2012 series. Four years ago, I used Phtalo blue underpaintings for my Hawaiian series while using opaque paint...


I'm tempted to throw a monkey wrench in my picture and go back to this underpainting approach with my current use of transparent colors on raw canvas. This will force the use of pure complementary colors and optical mixing on canvas. Over the last few years, I have relied on analogous colors schemes (e.g., red, yellow, orange with some purples, blues and darks for accents). Here is another "doodle with paint" as a first awkward experiment in this line of thinking....


I used turquoise phtalo as underpainting for this one. For more visceral works, raw cotton/linen canvas is tough to beat... and this is only one pass.

Another painting approach that has been haunting me for a while is "reactive painting", i.e., throwing some paint on canvas and building from there. This is my next experiment... and perhaps the only way to subjugate the control freak in me!

Note to self: "I have no time to be preoccupied with style for now... and just need to gobble up!"

No comments: