Thursday, July 29, 2010

Macha I - step I... Back to welding!

In starting this series, I want to give another shot at metallic copper paint as underpainting...

... but this time around working with thicker semi transparent paint, metallic and non-metallic, and more colors. This is a 24 X 30 canvas. I'm not sure where I'm going with this one... I'm not too nervous... may be I should!

Note: With this one, I'd like to balance the metallic with the non-metallic as opposed to what I've done with Claudel (purely metallic for the most part). With the portrait preceding Claudel, I ended up using metallic paint mostly as an after thought (color accents at the end). I'd also like to use both the knife and the brush to avoid the groomed look which is a departure from the expressionistic approach I'm after...

After completing the underpainting, I was still open to any value scheme, not necessarily a good sign...


After a rough second color pass (mired by a certain level of disorganization and disarray), I ended up with this version...

Looks like a third or a fourth coat may do it... as I seem to have kept the copper as a middle tone. I need to figure out dark value patterns throughout... and restore her initial beauty!

Note to self: "A phenomenon has suddenly manifested itself in my painting process. I use the background color integrally as either the middle tone (here), for the light values (Claudel), or to obtain dark values (previous portrait emanating from obscurity). I don't know if my art is getting better, but efficiencies are building up gradually leading the way to more freedom of expression!"

No comments: