Friday, July 17, 2009

Taking stock: where do I go from now?

As an artist, it's always interesting to know what happens to a piece once it's sold:
  • the first one from the left ended up in an apartment in Namur, Belgium (my step son),
  • the second one, in an "ashram" or "sanctuary" room in a Montreal residence (a friend of the muse and former Egyptian dancer),
  • the third one, in my taichi instructor's residence in Montreal.

I'm glad that my art has the potential to bring joy and to become an integral part of people's life. This is partly what's driving me to produce.

As an artist though, continuous development remains a key objective and I'm now at the completion of two years of serious full time painting. Lately, I pretty much said what I had to say with my two main series within the limits of my model... so I'm due for a change!

I'd like to introduce more spontaneity in my work with less dependence on preliminary drawings on canvas. I'd like more color separation and much more contrast in color and texture. I'd like to avoid formula painting and initiate each work with the spirit of "beginner's mind". In this pursuit, I guess integrating any strong points (if any!) from previous works will be my next challenge!

No comments: