Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Facing the subject on canvas... but pondering on "bigger" subjects!

Two days ago was my birthday... and as I'm getting closer to the big SIX "O" (I'm now 57), alone in front of a canvas, it's hard to avoid pondering on the "bigger" subjects such as life and the passing of time... besides, grand children are a reminder!

Two years ago, I decided to abandon my career to sort of "live to paint" while enjoying the journey... now, it seems that sooner or later I will be painting to live, to feel more alive... as a visceral need! Or perhaps, it's just the crummy Montreal summer (so far) and my oscillating retirement funds level that make me feel that way...

Meanwhile back to reality, I'm tackling the muse once again with this Kauai beach scene:

I think, I'll go "monochromatic" with this one. As the two guys are staring at each other, an heavenly creature is passing by... those guys should be reduced to their simplest expression!

I worked on the color scheme this afternoon... using a foundation of dirty colors (single colors mixed with black)...

I think I will entitle this one: "Bermuda triangle".... the bag in the middle has to go!

4 comments:

amber said...

Adorable Grandkids! You are painting a lot, that's very good. Inspiration must be with you
I checked your links and just loved Kim Cogan and Jerome Lagarrique. Their work is inspiring.
Can't wait to see your next one :)

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, my grand kids are adorable indeed! I like the painters you mentioned too for their contemporary urban style, especially Lagarrigue. With regard to the other painters in my list, sometimes it's just a specific characteristic of their work that I'm after... It's like fall in Montreal this week so I guess painting is an escape! How are the group shows going on your side?

amber said...

Seems the art world has come to a halt around here. Not many sales or shows for that matter. I do have 2 festivals coming on the 25th of July and 1st of August. i'm painting for that now. i'll post the pics just so you can see what I'm up to :)

Ron Gravel said...

The recession is affecting sales I presume. I'm planning for an October exhibition if everything falls according to plan. I'm putting most of my paintings on foam boards... not anticipating to sell! Talk about confidence!