Monday, July 27, 2009

Starting block 3 - step I... couldn't stop at 13... and 14 could be my lucky number!

I realized the "100 m'" series only had 13 paintings... so I felt compelled to add another one to avoid bad luck! I decided to start painting with no preparation... for the sake of freedom and with the thinking that if I start loose I'm more likely to finish loose! Using a loose piece of canvas, I went from 30 X 30 to 28 X 28... a small price to pay for a bad eye...

This speedy second pass was done with the spirit of breaking away dramatically from my previous patterns...

Over the last year or so, I've enjoyed a general graying/attenuation of colors as a means to apply a distinctive screen to my color palette and in following up with my Chinese painting experience (black ink is used to attenuate watercolors). With this second pass, I suddenly have the urge to part from that tradition. This painting is likely to stick out like a sore thumb... but I've got to let go to move forward!

Note to self: "Going for general color attenuation and expressiveness at the same time seemed to be a contradiction in terms. Some of my latest paintings are already showing a tendency for more impactful colors. It's now the time to tip the scale in that direction. As a first step, I intend to use color attenuation sparingly as a means to make brighter colors stand out."

No comments: