Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Las Terrenas - step III... what kind of painter am I? I will soon find out... the kind I'm not!

This new subject matter had a way of trowing me off balance big time! Four and a half hours overall got me to this final version:

A dab of this, a dab of that: suddenly I'm gaining a whole lot of respect for plein air painters working on small size canvases (this one is 20 X 20)! Although I like the power of large "in your face" subjects, I'm sure I will benefit from tackling new subjects such as this one, getting outside my "beaten path" so to speak...

Note to self: "My challenge here is to manage many elements at the same time with different color mixes. Mixing enough colors and simplifying painting steps, i.e. developing short-cuts, will help. I also need to learn how to paint gray and white!".

No comments: