Monday, July 20, 2009

Las Terrenas - step I... part one of an unlimited series!

I've been longing for a while to paint with acrylics or oils the places that I visited while traveling around the world over the last 30 years or so. In this unlimited series, I will focus on the areas that really caught my attention (in many instances, I will have watercolors and sketches to fall back on). A new challenge for me: I intend to address urban environments and incorporate people in my paintings as much as possible.

This first attempt is from my recent trip in the Dominican Republic. I rapidly laid out the preliminary colors this afternoon. This is a 20 X 20 canvas...

On the more experimental pole of my work, I intend to go abstract by depicting flocks of wild geese in extra large formats. As a teenager hunting with my father, I once saw a flock of Canada geese flying six feet over my head, an experience I will never forget. This series will be in honor of my father who will soon be 91 years of age.

I also intend to continue my exploration of the human figure using unusual cropping for more drama. In a nutshell... I've got my work cut out for the next 12 months or so!

No comments: