Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stretching buckled paintings... a case for the incredible shrinking canvas...

Yesterday was an "art supply" day as opposed to a "painting" day. In preparation for my 100 m Olympic series, I bought paint by the jar and five 36 X 36 canvases for starters. I also took the opportunity to buy special pliers along with stretcher bars to stretch one of my paintings done on primed canvas by the roll. Not having secured these canvases properly while painting (I used tape and clips as opposed to staples), I was worried about not being able to get rid of the odd buckle for a drum-like stretch. Fully spraying with water the back of the stretched canvas twice (turning the canvas upside down the second time around) took care of business. I am safe in that department... for now!


Arts and crafts have never been my forte and, more often than not, any manual work makes me realize that my hands are full of thumbs!

No comments: