Friday, January 30, 2009

Charlevoix beach scene II - final pass... starting to see the "light" at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train!

In this final pass, I have attenuated contrasts a bit in favour of a more natural look, and have concentrated textures around the figure and the head, which are key focal points. As a result, the camera is picking up midtones better. This is a 30 X 30 canvas...

The first photo was taken outside under day light (no sun)...

... while the other one is a close up to show textures...


With this painting, I took advantage of a darker reddish underpainting here and there, and purposely made the lower limbs disappear into the background to mimic the intense summer afternoon light.

I seem to have developed just enough skills with acrylics in a little over a year to render "half decently" pretty much anything I want. Can I render what is in my imagination? Can I express speed, power and feelings beyond just the conventional figurative vocabulary. This is my next challenge, which I plan to meet with the Olympic series!

3 comments:

Ron Gravel said...

Great job on those sites... you are creatively alive!

PB said...

Great there is no e mail on your profile. ??? VB is graet where is OZ did you go ? Hope you had fun
keep in contact and if your if SF look me up

Cheers PB

Ron Gravel said...

Peter, I have been in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. I like the California style of Sydney. I have also been in the country side a bit (the 3 sisters area). Australia and Canada have a lot in common mentality-wise. For now, I keep a low profile with regard to e-mail address, etc...