Monday, January 19, 2009

Kauai beach scene step II... it felt like jumping off a cliff!

It is interesting to find out that just a few changes in technique can put someone totally off balance. In this case, I decided to mix paint with a palette knife instead of using a brush and I used thicker paint than usual for this second application (I used acrylic gel instead of acrylic medium). It was panic city for a while but I realized quickly that I could push paint around easier owing to the slower drying time of the gel. I even instinctively used the palette knife for the trees and background. I stuck to large brushes to avoid details at this stage... except for the Chinese calligraphy on the bathing suit.

After a couple of hours of frantic work (so much for calligraphic brush strokes!), I ran out of gas and left the bag and sandals in the back "one step behind".

Part of my objective with this technical change is to create a richer surface. The other aspect is being able to gain full control of larger surfaces using a bolder approach to paint application (less dependent on glazes).

No comments: