Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kauai beach scene - final step... not sure who painted that one!

This painting evolved in a different fashion than I expected. Perhaps, if I always had a clear mental image of my future paintings, I would eventually quit painting. In other words, what's the point if there is no adventure!

A primary objective of this work was to emphasize textures (obtained from a palette knife, dripping, sponges, etc...). That was about the only "loose" aspect about this painting!

For this scene, I involuntarily adopted Lucian Freud's palette and probably developed the lethal look associated with this model (the "modified Muse") using my fertile imagination... or perhaps was I inspired by the too many Conan the Barbarian cartoons I read in my younger age...

Needless to say, the "Muse" pretended she was not amused by this "look", to which I retorted with a resounding: " I only paint what I see".

No comments: