Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hitting an Appalachian trail.... to end up in the Czech Republic!

Yesterday, while my canvases were drying, I decided to take a short break and hit a mountain trail close to the town where I was born. I'm sort of rediscovering this area after many years of absence... sort of lost all those years in prairies of asphalt and forests of electric poles. A close cousin was a helpful guide...

To avoid a case of delirium tremens, we elected to visit a winery close by: "Chapelle Ste Agnès". The estate was built over the course of 15 years using ancient Czech construction techniques. The owner was kind enough to offer us a private wine tasting session outside their usual schedule. If wine is a religion, then I'm a converted...

I couldn't resist buying a bottle of their best Vidal ice wine, which won international acclaim...

6 comments:

amber said...

What a quality life you live Ron!!
Those photos are great. Living with self doubt is hard. Having to maintain confidence to paint is harder.

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, I know the feeling. I spent most of my working life with a microphone in the nose facing crowds... and suddenly I'm alone facing a white canvas, by choice, trying to take care of that unfinished business of "becoming an artist" but vacillating from time to time!

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, Re quality of life,for now, I'm lucky to get enough dividends from my retirement funds (unless the US goes bankrupt) to share expenses with my wife who wants to work an extra year or two to help the kids financially (life is tough these days for young couples). I owe her a lot... without her I would not be able to concentrate on art fully!

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, RE keeping up painting, you are obviously not a formula painter (I’m trying not to be one)… you take risks. On the art festival trail, I saw many artists who sell, in essence, a decorative product with well defined properties and good craftsmanship. It would be nice to be one of those, like an abstract painter doing the same painting one gazillion times. Other artists get bored stiff once a process is assimilated… it’s the more difficult path of searching for some unreachable truth and, more often then not, I suspect it's beyond paint!

amber said...

Thanks for the nice comment-you are soo good for my ego :)
Dubai sounds like it's just far enough

Ron Gravel said...

Corno managed to get there...but she had to paint a lot of beautiful women with pulpous lips. Mind you, this is within your reach, I think:))