Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Starting block one - step II... on the starting block myself but it's my head that seems to be on the block!

On this second pass, I tried to obliterate the best I could this large mound of flesh! I used everything but the kitchen sink to apply color (palette knife, fingers, towel, brush...). At some point in time, I felt like running in the other direction!

Mixing larger amounts of thick paint is still a bit of a struggle for me, especially figuring out the right amount... my palette is a mess. The challenge with the third pass is to use brush strokes and colors to make the surface more interesting and give it an abstract quality. The abbreviated information - actually, a bad TV screen shot - I have for this fairly large painting is forcing me to move a little beyond the boundaries of the purely figurative.

No comments: