Thursday, February 19, 2009

Starting block 2 - final step... the emergence of the destroyer in me... i.e., stamping out part of my work!

This was the source of the original idea... the runner is positioning his feet on the starting block head down.

I want the series to look as if runners are coming from another planet!

In the final sprint, I conveniently brought the vertical abstract patterns from the background into part of the figure to create the illusion that the figure had just emerged and that it was in the process of being constructed in front of our very eyes. It was also an attempt to stop the viewer's eyes from exiting the canvas via the right arm, after having read the picture from left to right. The fluo tank top was meant to emphasize details from the upper back and shoulder areas.

I want to experiment with this series, getting off the beaten path...

No comments: