Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A short hiatus from real painting... working on giclée prints!

Responding to a client's needs (and some family needs), I got involved for the first time in the production of "giclée" prints (direct print-outs from original paintings on canvas)...

Although the print-outs were decent copies of my original works, their surface quality was way below par, dull and lifeless. In order to give them a "painted look", I've opted for two sprayed coats of Kamar varnish, followed by one coat of soft gel, one coat of glossy varnish and a final coat of satin varnish. I tested these products on the inks before proceeding. I painted the sides to enhance their "real painting" look. Through this painstaking process, I think I've ended up with superlative prints!

Note: The only technicality with my process is to ensure a thin "mist" application with the Kamar varnish. If droplets of solvent accumulate on the surface of the print, ink integrity can be jeopardized...

No comments: