Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Femme fatale II final... still investigating textural effects with thin and opaque paint!

The third pass led me closer to where I wanted to be...


I realize I'm still on a trial and error basis when it comes to modeling the face by alternating glazes and opaque color passages on raw cotton/linen canvas. Part of the reason is that I would like more textural effects without relying solely on palette knife application. The final pass led to this somewhat overworked version, based on my initial outlook with this piece:

Best results are obtained with very few spontaneous passes, sort of the art of painting... without paint! In retrospect, my second pass had captured the essence of the subject minus a few flaws... and part of it is the acceptance of a new look...

Note: Colors in these types of painting are greatly enhanced by the application of soft gel and water (isolation coat) followed by a couple of coats of varnish... my next steps with this piece...

Note to self: "With this technique on raw canvas, I just need a little more guts and confidence to really get what I'm after. Totally obliterating the canvas sort of defeats the purpose. This may require more planning though".

No comments: