Thursday, November 13, 2008

The universal use of the "sticky mixture"...a definite "may be"...

On the artistic side of my activities, yesterday, I spent most of my time varnishing. I wanted to do another experiment with the epoxy varnish (the sticky mixture I am referring to) but this time around over a pale textured surface with a matte finish (my first experiment was done over a darker non textured surface with a glossy finish - a school of fish from Kauai). Looks like this one will require another pour to obliterate the areas of tension caused by textures. My intent was to use the epoxy varnish with my recent beach series. My thinking now is that this type of super high gloss surface lends itself better to "aqua" environments. As such, the painting below qualifies as the varnish adds to the feeling of "wetness" (only my theory!)...


My next project with the "sticky mixture" will be the Hawaiian green turtles I did last year, a 30" X 40 " canvas. The title of the project will be: "how to double the price of a painting with 20 dollars worth of varnish". "Wishful thinking" you might add!

The second pass for the last Buddha:

2 comments:

amber said...

Hi Ron thx for the nice comment you left me.:))
I really like your beach paintings they really capture the mood of being there. (Carefree sort of feel) The use of light is awesome too!!
amber

Ron Gravel said...

Thanks Amber. I will let go of consultancy for a while and dedicate my time to art this winter. I like your blog for the art of course but also for the spirit behind your art and your complete "tell it as it is" honesty. Good luck for the auction...I am not sure if I would be able to put the last painting up for sales and part from it, if I was the author...perhaps because I don't have that many good ones :))