Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Experimenting with raw canvas....

Following up on my idea to work on unmounted canvases, I recently bought 2 yards of canvas at a local art store. However, by piggy-backing on a client's order distractingly, I ended up buying raw canvas. Since raw canvas is used by a number of contemporary artists (the first one I noticed was Manolo Valdes in Madrid), I got more documentation on the topic and decided to give it a shot. Not wanting to part too much from tradition at first, I applied a thin coat of acrylic medium before starting to paint for this first experiment, so to speak.


The first application of paint made me think of pastel painting. I will try staining techniques the next time around before applying thicker paint. The beige from the canvas provided a nice warm background. I will definitely pack a few raw canvases in preparation for my East coast vacation towards the end of August.

No comments: