Wednesday, August 6, 2008

New directions - First attempts

After an 8 week hiatus from painting in June-July (my marketing consultancy work took over), I decided to make my first attempts in the direction I have always wanted to take with acrylics: a more expressive style. I also wanted to take the opportunity to use black as a color, a direct influence from 2 years of training in Chinese landscape painting, which I took in the Montreal China Town. I zipped through the first attempt with the intent of generating happy accidents (term used in watercolor), which could then be retained in my future works.


Textures and some patterns of abstraction caught my attention and served as a platform for my second attempt, a beach scene in Maui.


The subdued color scheme (grayed with ivory black and titanium white) is something that agrees with me and that I want to exploit in the near future.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Just checking in...
Hope the good weather follows you to Cape May. Looking forward to a few sea shore works.
Cheers,
paul

Ron Gravel said...

Paul, it has been a great week! I managed to pump up a few sketches and paintings which I will publish shortly...