Thursday, August 7, 2008

Beach scene series in the making.... still experimenting...

Capitalizing on the momentum from the two previous works, I rapidly pump up this third one emphasizing textures and somewhat of a minimalist approach; I used three layers of paint in the process (one transparent, two opaque).


Because of the composition, I felt somewhat constrained by the 24X30 frame used, especially when it came to painting the figure. So much for the gestural approach! It would be nice to paint on larger canvases. However, storing large frames can be cumbersome, so I have been toying with the idea of painting on large pieces of canvas temporarily stapled on plywood (many contemporary artists do this). I will lose the bounce of the stretched canvas but will gain in the capacity to experiment cost-effectively while resolving any storage issue. Selected canvases can then be stretched and framed for future exhibitions.

No comments: