Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gravitating towards a looser style

Although painting has been a sporadic activity for me, I have always kept the habit of sketching while traveling for business or pleasure. Ironically, some of these "looser works" received more accolades than my finished paintings. I have incorporated some of this more expressive style into my most recent watercolors (click on any slide below to view a full screen presentation).



My last works with acrylics were done with the intent of achieving control on larger canvases. The larger canvases also allowed for more gestural application of paint. So far, I have used fluid acrylics for the first layers and opaque paint for the last ones, making sure to let the under painting show through in certain areas. For more expressive results, I intend to use less layers and more texture in the future. With this new medium for me, I felt the need to achieve a certain level of technical control before loosening up.


No comments: