Sunday, August 23, 2009

Victorian style living near the beach... more than a common barbarian deserves!

Back from a vacation in Prince Edward County... and lucky enough to have enjoyed one week of sun shine with the muse, toggling back and forth between a Victorian loft and the beach, and sampling local wines and food stuffs...

I managed a few sketches... but still feel a bit out of place in the watercolor department especially working outdoors with dirty colors from a cheap watercolor set! I'd like to try a few studio paintings to see where I'm at with this medium that I haven't touched for 5 years. With regard to the "muse in my art" and the beach series, this trip gave me a few ideas that I look forward to implement.

The art in the County was great, and the artists awesome! Special thanks to Kenzo (great inks from Kauai in Belleville!), Margaret McFetridge (loved her vibrant flower paintings along with her dream studio), Hugh Charlebois (great marine paintings in acrylics) and Andrew Innes (loved his variety of techniques and his dream home gallery) for taking the time to share their thoughts on art with me. I was also fortunate enough to view beautiful abstract paintings from Rita Thivierge at the Sandbanks Estate winery.

6 comments:

amber said...

Wow it looks like you had a great time Wonderful pictures!!
Common barbarian I'm assuming you are talking about yourself and not your better half lol(just kidding)
You should be very inspired now to create!!

Ron Gravel said...

Hi amber, the trip was great from an artistic standpoint and we were lucky enough to have sun shine every day. September will be busy getting ready for my upcoming exhibition. From an artistic standpoint I would like to try new color palettes and start exploiting paint for its own sake (I do too much illustration!). Love your recent works... as usual... they have the qualities I'm after... Check Nielly in my list of artists: elle est allucinante!

amber said...

Hi Ron I looked at all the links you posted. Technically Neilly is good ,but I find the colors a bit much.
The bold colors work against expressions of the faces The strokes look angry. I prefer your work. Youe paintings reflect a real mood, not an imagined one.
Something tangible...

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, with regard to Nielly's work it's her technique that drew my attention(I'm not a fluo type of guy!)... I kinda liked the efficiency of her one stroke at a time approach. Your painting knife technique is bold uses bold colors...and results remain realistic but with the emotions added... I want to use more painting knife in the future... to introduce more imprecision in my paintings!

amber said...

More imprecision ..well said
You are brilliant my friend!--Can I use that?

Ron Gravel said...

Amber, you bet:))