Friday, September 26, 2008

Making the plunge with epoxy varnish...literally...one hell of a sticky mixture!

I have been toying, for some time, with the idea of trying epoxy varnish on some of my paintings, particularly the marine scenes. There is a also a possibility of "spot varnishing" certain paintings to create unusual textural effects as seen in contemporary art. I dug up one of my first acrylics from 2007 and gave it a shot. Some happy accidents occurred in the upper part of the painting (bubbles and uncovered spots) which point to using more mixture in the future for optimal results. However, it is worth mentioning that a forensic analysis on the piece would reveal genetic material from the 2 cats in the house...sort of a hairy subject I won't dwell on...Needless to say, this piece will remain "collection of the artist" for sentimental reasons! I intend to exhibit it at my upcoming show ..."just for laughs".

No comments: