Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sweet surrender final - A first with chimney soot!

This last pass was done in a "trial and error" mode looking for a balance throughout...


I didn't mind the previous color scheme but felt that tipping the scale towards red would be more conducive to communicating passion. With this new approach with soot, I hope to remain on its wave length throughout the painting process (I'm after a blurring effect). This shouldn't be too difficult since transparent paint over soot is nothing more than tinted soot, its staining effect being that powerful! Ironically, as a result, even the opposite side of the canvas has some potential, something I may exploit with cotton/linen canvases...


I first learned of such a technique through the web site of a South American Chinese black ink painter using rice paper as support.

As a side bar, I've been looking at a subset of my recent paintings...


In light of this, it wouldn't be bad to introduce "softer" subjects... as a counter balance to sexual innuendos, blatant physical violence and blood sucking vamps! Still, I never had so much feedback since I decided to speak up my mind using paint! Evidently, I'm just joking!

Note to self: "I've been prudent with this first attempt with soot. Clashes of extreme colors with black and grey should be next on my agenda. Splatter marks would be nice. In terms of colors, green still escapes me as a skin color... gotta vanquish that demon!"

No comments: