Thursday, April 21, 2011

The triumph of black over titanium white - step I... Back to experimentation!

The other day, I bought stretched canvases from another supplier thinking that I could use them for giclée prints. It was not the case, so I have no choice but to paint on them. The surface is really smooth with virtually no textures on it, almost like hot pressed watercolor paper. It could be ideal for the continuation of my series with metallic paint. On the other hand, I' m tempted by another type of experiment today...

... using fluo pink as the foundation for this new work. I've been a stainer more than a painter lately, so I want to see the impact of such an underpainting using somewhat of a glazing approach...

... looks like I'm on familiar ground, i.e., facing the same challenge as retaining iridescence or leveraging a background color!
 
Note: This is a 22 X 28 canvas and I want this painting to join my "Smoke and mirrors" series...

No comments: