Monday, December 8, 2008

Sandbanks #6 final pass... you can't win them all!

I did not fair as well with the heavily gessoed surface... I missed the texture of the canvas and this played against me! The painting registers at 6 feet but lacks interest in a close up view (did not use alla prima) ... therefore this is only half a picture!

In a moment of sheer euphoria, I slapped a coat of matte varnish to attenuate the colors followed by a coat of high gloss varnish to highlight textures... and called it quit. The painting is interesting to look at from a distance but this is not sufficient to make it part of the collection (my signing it was only wishful thinking)!

I am not giving up on the approach... but for the time being, I will pursue my beach painting series using canvas by the roll to see where this will lead me.

While I am at it, here is my first shot at this other beach scene from Cape May:


... a rather massive & monolithic mother playing the role of life guard for a rather cute little surf boarder....

No comments: